The Belluschi House
Completed in 1948 for the Burkes family, the flat roof and open plan of this house were Pietro Belluschi's closest brush with the International Style. The original house is sited with views of Portland and the mountains to the east and open to a secluded courtyard on the West, where large glass walls recede into the wood ceiling. There is ample use of cedar and fir throughout, including in the newly remodeled kitchen and bathrooms, where all new hardware, sinks and faucets were provided by Chown Hardware of Portland. New floors are large cork tiles, similar to the original. Striking features are the woven wood ceilings in bedrooms and two Mt. Adams stone fireplaces that echo the stone of the old courtyard wall. The house has been meticulously restored, revitalized and expanded by Pietro's son, architect Anthony Belluschi FAIA. Also, the gallery and bedroom additions, the new Tea House, and the conversion of a carport to a garage all complement the style of the main house.
Colonial Bronze Knob